Labels:

Top Ten Tuesday #7


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish. Each week they give a topic, and then other blogs make their top ten lists for that topic.

This week's topic is: Top Ten Books That Make You Think (About The World, People, Life, etc.)


So we know that we have been kind of lagging on the posts in the past little while, but we have a good reason! We both started school last week, and getting back into it takes a lot out of us... (getting up too early, leaving the house too early, being forced to sit down and learn stuff, TOO EARLY!!!) Plus we are both taking some advanced placement type courses, so everything is just a bit more demanding of our time. Once we get back into the swing of things, posts will be popping up here regularly as usual! (That is, until November, when NaNoWriMo starts! But more on that later.) 

So here's our list ;) As always, it's in no particular order. Also, we'd like to try something new and add links to Goodreads for each book, so you can read the summaries/reviews if you are interested! 

1. The Help by Kathryn Stockett: This one really made me (Megan) think about the past. I had learnt about segregation before, but just being put right smack dab in the middle of a situation very similar to reality really hit home. It really made me hate humanity. I spent countless hours pondering how our race could be so ignorant and cruel. 

2. The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis: I (Megan) borrowed this book from my aunt a few years ago, and it still to this day, makes me think of how fortunate I am. The protagonist Parvana struggles each day to secure meals for her and her siblings, and can't know for certain that she will have a place to sleep every night. Reading this book made me very appreciative of what I have been blessed with. 

3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: To be honest, I'm fairly certain this book made everyone think...if it didn't stir any thoughts up in your brain...then you must not have read the book properly... haha.. For me (Megan), it really made me wonder. Our world could end up that way, quite easily, (which is the terrifying part) if we don't watch our step. Metaphorically speaking. Even though this book was categorized as "science fiction", it's not all that far off from being plausible. 

4. Delirium by Lauren Oliver: This one made me (Megan) think about perception. In reality, everything that we know and experience (including love, which in Delirium is considered a disease) is open to interpretation and different perceptions. The way we perceive the world and events that occur around us really ends up shaping our life. So if you did really believe that love was a disease, it wouldn't be so crazy to avoid it. That probably didn't make a sliver of sense, but I guess it's up to you to perceive it how you wish! Ahahaha, I'm bad... 

5. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling: This one simply made me (Megan) think "I WANNA GO TO HOGWARTS!"

6. Incarceron by Cathering Fisher: This one made me (Rachel) really have to think. Not so much about humanity (kay, a little of that) or how lucky I am or anything, but I just had to stop reading several times to really think about the twists- it's mind boggling, I tell you! You have to read this one to really get what I mean.

-Rachel and Megan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
read it write © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters