Preview: Matched by Ally Condie

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.



This booked looked interesting to me, (well no duh, right or else why would I have picked it up? Haha...) but not because of the cover. To be honest, I'm not that crazy about the cover. To me, it just makes the book look cheap...and it's kinda blah and boring.


What got me interested was the concept. What if all the hard parts of our lives were done for us? All the work was done, and the hard decisions were made for us, but we still got to experience the fantasy ending result? I've been kind of stuck in a sci-fi/dystopian rut lately when it comes to books, (The Hunger Games, Divergent, Across the Universe, Delirium, The Selection...the list goes on... Not that I'm complaining!) and so the idea of people getting "matched" up with their most compatible partner and life path was intriguing. Even if I hadn't read all those other books before, I think I would have still picked this book up, because, let's be honest. Who doesn't wish they could find the perfect partner? (Prince Charming or whatever you wanna call it) The perfect partner that compliments your personality perfectly. And the perfect job... well wouldn't that be nice? 


But......where's the fun in that? Although it would be great to be quickly and easily snapped into place where you fit most perfectly in society, what use is that? I would ask questions like, why am I here? How did I get here? If someone else decides what your life is going to be for you, then what is the point of living? Life is supposed to be what you make of it, right? Your own choices define who you are, and if you are never in the position where you need to make any choices, then who are you? 


Well, I think I'll stop rambling now! Hopefully I got some ideas stirring there though ;)


I'm interested to see which direction this book will take. I'm guessing that the protagonist Cassia Reyes is going to rebel somehow against this seemingly ideal world, but I guess I will have to read some more to find that out! 




keep readin' it write! 
Megan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
read it write © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters