Preview: Wither by Lauren DeStefano


In the not-too-distant future, genetic engineering has turned every newborn into a ticking time bomb: Males die at age twenty-five, and females die at age twenty. While scientists seek a miracle antidote, young girls are routinely kidnapped and sold as polygamous brides to bear more children. When sixteen-year-old Rhine is taken, she enters a world of wealth and privilege that both entices her and terrifies her. She has everything she ever wanted- except freedom. 
       
Soon it becomes clear that not everyone at her new husband's home is how they appear. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to escape...before her time runs out. 




The cover. That's probably what drew me in the most when deciding to read this book. The dress that the girl is wearing pulled me in. I love fashion design, so I am very intrigued when I see garments from different time periods or settings. I also found it interesting that this series is called The Chemical Garden Trilogy, it just sounds like an interesting world. Definitely not organic, since they are using CHEMICALS in their GARDENS, huh? Ha, ha, sorry for the bad joke...

The cover and the back-blurb both give a very creepy and eerie aura, and even the first little bit that I've read so far continue to maintain that aura. This creepiness is something new to me in books. I don't think this will be like anything I've ever read before.

I also wonder about the little bird in the cage beside the girl on the cover. The circles on the front cover must be pin-pointing important symbols, and I'm pretty darn sure the ring symbolizes the young brides mentioned in the back blurb, but what does the little bird symbolize?

I guess I will have to read it to find out....

PS: the Entree for this book will be written by both me, and Rachel, since she has already read this book. Yay! Dual-opinion-power!



keep readin' it write
Megan 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
read it write © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters