Labels:

Series Review: The Shiver Trilogy/ The Wolves of Mercy Falls by Maggie Stiefvater


Well, here's something new! It's not just a review of one book, but of a whole series!

I just finished the Shiver Trilogy/Wolves of Mercy Falls Series by Maggie Stiefvater about a week and a bit ago. It consisted of three books:



The first review I did on here was for the first book, Shiver, and I loved that book. I have similar feelings about the whole series. The whole series follows the people and wolves of Mercy Falls- wolves that turn out to be more then just wolves. The conflict is simple, yet not. I loved how all the characters were well-developed, especially the main characters. There was always something more beneath the surface that what was first showed.

Another thing that I adored about these books is the way they switched POV's. If done well, I really like it, but I think switching views can easily be the sinking point for books, too. In the first book, it's just two view points- Grace and Sam. In the last two books, it's four- Grace, Same, Isabel and Cole. At first, I wasn't so sure about it. It didn't take long for me to change my mind, though. Maggie Stiefvater does an excellant job in making each voice unique- if you weren't told who was the narrator at the moment, you would be able to tell. All of the characters had their own individual problems, not just the central plot. They all had their own personal issues to deal with- family problems, emotional struggles, dealing with tramautic pasts, to name some.

Of all the characters, I think I liked Cole the most, but all of the characters were pretty darn cool. I don't think there was a time that I disliked any of them- other then the characters you are supposed to hate, of course. And even then, I could sympathize with the 'bad' guys.

I think overall, the first and the third were my favourites. I don't think I can decide between the two which I like more, I liked both in different ways. But don't think that I didn't like Linger, either! That was good, too. It didn't drag the series down at all. The end of Forever couldn't have been better, in my opinion. It finished the series well, good closure, but space to think and leave it open at the same time.

Maggie Stiefvater is one of my favourite authors now, I think. I love her style of writing, it's witty and clever and funny, but still graceful and flow-y and meaningful.

To finish it off;
The Good: The characters, the plot, the POVs
The Bad: Umm... what?
The Verdict: 5/5

I would recommend this too: Anyone who loves werewolves, the supernatural, romance books, witty books, clever books, small-town settings, multiple point of views, fantasy, reality-with-a-twist, books about teenagers, books that have people that are hiding something, wolves, or reading.

Here's some other sites that you might want to look at that have to do with this series:

Maggie Stiefvaters' own blog: maggiestiefvater.com/blog


And then there's this cool little website I found a little while ago, The Merry Sisters of Fate. merryfates.com It's a website co-owned by Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton and Brenna Yovanoff. They are finished with the site now, but for three years they posted a new short story once a week, alternating between the three of them and then finishing with another guest author. I haven't read all of the stories, only about as far back as last August, but they are amazing.

-Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
read it write © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters